Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Delta Junction, Alaska

Hurray, Delta Junction!!



Delta Junction is the northern end of the Alaskan Highway.



We did not get to drive this but we at least got to see the end of it.

Why, you might ask, would I want to see the end of the Alaskan Highway? Well, let me tell ya. Back in the 1960's, when I was a young girl, I had a friend whose father was hit by a car as he left worship service. At the time I knew him I understood he had blood clots in his legs and was confined to a nursing home on morphine for the pain. I visited him there with my friend. My friend and her mother had to go on welfare and times were tough for them at that point. They had a dream though, and that dream was to travel up the Pacific Coast highway, by car, and on up through Alaska to this point on the map.

Her father did get better and devoted the rest of his life to preaching and teaching the gospel of Christ. His name was Jerry Stalkup and my friend was his daughter Cindy. I do not know if they ever did realize their dream of traveling this highway... but I hope so.




So, we traveled, we saw, and now we are hungry!

Where does one eat in Delta Junction, Alaska? The possibilities are definitely not endless, I believe there are 4 restaurants total and one may be the gas station.




Up for adventure, keeping an open mind and a close watch on our Little Companion, we decided upon The Alaskan Steakhouse.




Looks a little seedy, huh?

Well a lot of places look seedy here and if you're going to let that stop you, you're gonna go hungry!



Bar was off to the left (ha), we stayed to the right.



Nice and clean, didn't smell, and our waitress was very nice.




They also had these cool paper placemats!




I had a burger and substituted fries for soup. This soup was good!



This burger was good!

Cost was over $10.00, under $15.00, but that's not bad for a burger and soup combo here.




Headed back. I thought that house there on the lake was pretty.



Okay, had to take this picture of the guy ice fishing with his dog.

Ice is melting, I doubt they will be doing that much longer.

Spring is just around the corner here!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Hi, Valerie,
I hope your friend and her family were able to take that trip, too. I am glad her father recovered and went on to preach the gospel. Pretty neat to see someone ice fishing. I am glad spring is headed your way. Have a terrific rest of the week! Vicki

Sandy said...

Enjoyed your photos. We are at a campground near Ocean City, MD. We spent the weekend and today cleaning, sorting and organizing the RV for our trip to Alaska later this month. Off to home tomorrow.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)