Monday, March 15, 2010

Museum of the North

This past weekend we were able to enjoy a trip to the University of Alaska MUSEUM OF THE NORTH!!!

The museum is housed in a grand structure "designed to convey a sense of Alaska, evoking images of ridges, glaciers, and a diving whale's tail." It is an interesting structure indeed.

Boot ice sculptures by the entry.

Fellow museum goers daughter and Little Companion.

Little Companion, "take my picture." Me, "DON'T TOUCH THE HORSE!!!" Ha ha on me, Little Companion had her hand behind the horse and was not at all touching it. FUNNY LITTLE COMPANION.


Some nice wildlife exhibits. Beautiful white fox.


Looks like I was on the iceberg with this little fellow!

Loving the fabrics and textiles. Beautiful clothing.


Boots!

Russian exhibit.



*



Magnificent robe.




Upstairs... the art gallery.




Loving the art gallery.




Are you more an abstract sort of person or...



A flapjack sort of person?




This one made me chuckle.. Things I ate in Alaska, funny.




An artistic slant on an outhouse.
*
I have to say I found the information on the frontier women of Alaska fascinating. I marvel that these women could have made the journey and survive the harsh winters and wildlife. Seems a lot of their problems actually were caused by the men they associated with and not where you would have assumed it would have come from... hum... interesting.
*
All in all a very enjoyable adventure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Valerie! Wow, what a great place! Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Vicki said...

Hi, Valerie,
What an interesting museum! I am definitely a flap jack kind of girl!!! It looks like your little companion had a great time! Thanks for sharing! Vicki

Candace said...

All so interesting, thank you for sharing. My father always wanted to go to Alaska and never got to go. I am enjoying your tours, and feel almost like I'm sharing it with him.

Anonymous said...

Hi Valerie! Oh happy day, am I excited that I came to visit you today. I heard this place was a must see when you get to Alaska. We are leaving very soon for our summer journey and we will be in Alaska for 3 months. It looks like you are doing it right while there.

Hugs,
Chris

Jocelyn said...

How very fascinating. Great field trip :-)

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/